So the latest episode of the D6Generation (ep 142) has Mack Martin on as the guest 3rd chair. Here Mack talks Malifaux, general gaming and Wyrd’s next big thing.
For those unaware Mack is a heavy hitter in the RPG development industry with Warhammer 40K RPG and Dust Tactics tabletop game credited to him. He later joined Wyrd and began the Through the Breach (TTB) roleplay game set in the Wyrd universe and helped out with the development of Malifaux 2.0 (M2E).
He dropped the bombshell that he is starting work on an army-scale wargame called Ruined Planet. What is an army-scale wargame? According to Mack it will be between 30-40 up to 150 models per side. He has stated that Malifaux will not be an army game.
- Hard Sci-Fi game
- Rulebook and 2 faction books done
- 1st draft written over Xmas break 2013
- Eric had the concepts in place and Mack is filling in the gaps
- Background includes pandemic on earth forcing people to flee to space
- Potential for 6/7 factions and sketches for them for launch
- Mack has had this idea for years and can be seen in past interviews on the white board behind him
- Pandemic background seems very filled out. Very bio-organic
- Challenges for upping model count. Wyrd very committed to the project.
- Dice based game, not cards
- Battle Builder from Dust Warfare will influence the new game
- Organised play is a big feature
- Players can influence the storyline by winning organised play events
- Alternate Activation
- Response tokens to help act out of turn
- Self-balancing mechanic similar to Bushido
- Units can resupply themselves
- LOS not true LOS but is abstracted
- Very scenario-specific
It sounds a lot of fun but as a gamer that loves skirmish level games I can’t see me buying into it. If the models look nice I may consider a model or two. But best of luck for Mack and the guys at Wyrd.